- Courses for Adult Learners
- Family Nature Camp
- Conferences and Events
- Summer Field Institute for High School Students
- Summer Field Studies for Children
- Summer Yucatan Intensive
Courses for Adult Learners
2014 Courses for Adult Learners
Exciting new changes have come to Summer Programs – a new two-week format and revised courses. Adult learners and educators looking for new opportunities to foster intellectual inquiry, creative exploration, and professional growth will study and learn in the unique outdoor laboratory of Mount Desert Island. Courses combine labs, discussions, lectures, and field trips exploring the bays, estuaries, bogs, forests, flora, and fauna of Acadia National Park.
Select courses will feature:
Marine Mammals: Two-night expedition to the Edward McC. Blair Research Station on Mount Desert Rock, and day trips aboard the research vessel Osprey following and studying the migration patterns of whales, porpoises and seals.
Inspired by Nature: Art class trips on the Osprey drawing live creatures from the sea or painting landscapes of the outer Porcupine Islands.
Nature in Focus: Environmental photography expeditions in and around Acadia National Park, an all day shoot on the Schoodic Peninsula, and a nature cruise from Bass Harbor to photograph eagles, seals and a floating salmon farming operation.
Marine Ecology: Studying the intertidal environment on the shores of Bar Island, Hadley Point, Otter Cliffs, and Wonderland - not to mention a unique sea adventure with Diver Ed on the Starfish Enterprise.
By early evening, you’ll return to campus for an award-winning meal, relax on campus in cozy accommodations, or slip away to explore the quaint island communities on your own.
Participants will be eligible to earn continuing education credits through the University of Maine. Courses are no longer available for graduate credit.
Program At a Glance
- Tuition Rates for 2014: The base tuition rate for a two-week course is $1,390. Please inquire about single week options.
- Room and Board: Housing and meals are $990/single, $790/shared for two weeks. Each course has an application fee of $25 and lab fees vary. Housing is available on our oceanfront, Bar Harbor campus on a first-come, first-served basis.
- CEUs: All 2014 summer courses have been pre-approved for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) by the University of Maine. Students taking a course for continuing education will receive a pass or fail.
- Class Size: Small classes (up to 13 students) optimize contact between faculty and students.
- Registration: Students are strongly encouraged to register no later than May 1, 2014, but will be accepted through June pending space availability. Please contact the Summer Programs office prior to booking long distance flights, as there are instances where courses may be cancelled due to low enrollment.
Summer 2014 Courses
Click here for secure online course registration. Payment may be made via check, credit card, or purchase order.
Bring Your Family!
While you're in class your family members can enjoy exploring Acadia National Park with our expert naturalist guides!
COA's popular Family Nature Camp has week-long sessions between June 29 – August 2.
Our Summer Field Studies day camp for children offers one- and two-week sessions for children in grades 1– 9.
College of the Atlantic
105 Eden Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609