Community Resources

Internet and Technology

Public Computer Labs

Public computers are located in the Neva Goodwin (NG) Computer Lab (in the Kaelber Hall basement), and in the back room of the Library. The Computer Lab is open 24-hours a day; Library hours are 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Software available includes Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel and Powerpoint), Systat, and Maple. Computer lab monitors are available in the Computer Lab to introduce you to the computers and software, and to help with any problems.

Additional computers are located in the Writing Center, the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Lab, and the Green Media Center. Usage of these labs is restricted to students taking courses in these areas.

Network Access

Public access computers in the NG Lab and in the Library are all connected to the campus network, and have access to campus e-mail as well as Internet services. Data outlets are provided in 13 of the library study carrels; students with notebook computers and network adapters can simply plug in for network access. Wireless connectivity is also available in the Library as well as all dormitories and classrooms, and many public spaces on campus. All students are eligible for network accounts, but must comply with the COA Computer Usage Policy.

Students living in campus housing have access to both wired and wireless connection to the campus network from their dorm rooms. Students connecting will have Internet and e-mail access. Students provide their own computers. COA’s computer services department will provide the necessary software and support to help students connect their computers to the network.

Purchasing Computers and Supplies

College of the Atlantic students are eligible to purchase products from The University of Maine Computer Connection store, which offers Apple and Dell computers as well as software and supplies at educational prices.


The photocopying machine in the Library is available during all library hours for student use (5¢ per page). Individuals who have approved budget numbers or who have made arrangement with Barbara Carter, Assistant to the Faculty, may use the copier on the first floor of Turrets.

Writing Center

The college has maintained a dedicated Writing Center for over 25 years. It is staffed by trained peer tutors who are good writers and who have also studied grammar, rhetorical theory, and approaches to writing across the curriculum with faculty member and Writing Director Anne Kozak. They meet regularly with Anne to find more effective ways of working with individual students. Any student, however, may approach one of the tutors and set up a schedule to work on a particular problem. Their "walk-in" center hours are posted. The extension for the Writing Center is x5814.

Career Planning

The resources of the Internship and Career Services Office can assist students is planning both their academic program and career direction. A searchable database is available for students seeking information about internships and post-graduate employment opportunities. Information is also available for fellowships and scholarships, field study opportunities, study abroad and external credit programs. In addition, the office offers career guidance and occupational information, standardized test applications, graduate program information and an extensive mentorship program with the college's alumni. These services continue without cost after students graduate.

Students are encouraged to stop by the office on the third floor of Turrets and make an appointment with Jill Barlow-Kelley, Director of Internships and Career Services, to discuss the various resources and opportunities available to students.



We strive to create an atmosphere that is supportive and welcoming in campus residences. Every resident is responsible for contributing to the creation of a residential community that encourages learning and well being. To that end, there are various expectations of on-campus residents some of which are detailed below. The Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Obligations section of the Housing Contract contains the full text. All campus residents are strongly encouraged to read the Housing Contract prior to signing.

Housing is only available for students who are enrolled full-time or who are on a reduced class-load authorized by the Academic Dean. Students who either choose not to enroll for a term, or who are ineligible to do so, will be asked to vacate college housing and will be responsible for the remainder of that term’s rent. In exceptional circumstances or because of extreme emotional or medical problems a student may petition the Dean of Student Life or Coordinator of Wellness & Campus Engagement to be released from the Housing Contract. The College may terminate a Housing Contract if a student fails to comply with any of the terms of the Contract, the guidelines established by the house, or if the student presents a risk to other students.

Students living on campus are responsible for the following:

  • Maintaining original room conditions and notifying the college of any maintenance issues that arise prior to the end of the year.
    • Students are not permitted to make structural alterations to their rooms, remove furnishings, or repaint walls.
    • Tenants are also asked not to use tape or nails when attaching things to the walls.
  • Participating in maintaining and cleaning common spaces such as common spaces, kitchens, bathrooms, and hallways in their residence.
  • Complying with campus fire-safety policies and procedures; this includes prohibited materials, ensuring fire exits are kept clear and accessible, and keeping all fire-detection and suppression devices operational. Items not permitted in dorms include candles, incense, hot plates, space heaters, and halogen lamps. Major violations will result in a $100 fine.
  • Although every effort will be made by the College to notify a student prior to entering an occupied room, the College reserves the right to enter a student's room to perform routine or emergency maintenance or to enforce College policies, rules, and regulations
  • No room changes may occur in any residence hall until the first working day following the second week of classes. Students must first contact their Resident Advisor to discuss the possibility of a room change. Students may be referred to the Coordinator of Wellness & Campus Engagement.
  • The College allows residents to have overnight guests in housing; however all residents are asked to be sensitive to the rights of other members of the house community before encouraging their friends to visit. Residents should be aware that the ability to have guests is not automatic. Residents should know their guests well before hosting them on campus. Parents are strongly encouraged to find accommodations off campus. Residents are responsible for seeing that their guests know and comply with college and residence life expectations and policies. Residents should be present while their guests are visiting and are responsible for their guests' actions and behaviors. The residents hosting a guest will be held responsible for any actions or behavior that falls outside of the college's or the house's established expectations. Residents are expected to accompany their guests, particularly while in house common spaces. Guests must overnight in student rooms and not common spaces. Students may host guests for a maximum total of 16 days/term. The maximum stay for any single visit is 10 consecutive days. There is a maximum of 2 guests per room/night. If a guest stays beyond the maximum number of days then the host student can be charged $55/night for each additional night. If at any time a guest is determined to be disruptive to the house by Student Life staff, then the guest can be required to leave campus. Any resident living in a shared room and wishing to host a guest(s) must ask and receive permission from their roommate(s) at least two weeks in advance of the arrival of any guests. Residents must also notify their house by email of the impending arrival of any guests. The arrival of a guest should not require a roommate to vacate her/his room without the person's permission.
  • Students having compelling reasons to remain on campus during breaks or after graduation are required to petition the Coordinator of Wellness & Campus Engagement in advance to receive authorization. Students can expect to be charged a $100 an hour fee for not vacating the building on the posted closing date.
  • Housing for returning students is determined through a Housing Lottery in mid-April. First and second year students should expect to live on campus, space permitting.

When students fail to comply with or meet these expectations, consequences can include working with their individual RA, community service, chores, fines, and being removed from on-campus housing.


Students living in on-campus housing may keep certain pets under certain circumstances. The following is excerpted from the Student Housing Contract:

Small animals, reptiles, and fish are permitted in on-campus housing; dogs, cats, and birds are not permitted. However, certain conditions must be met in order to bring and keep such a pet. No one should bring a pet to live on-campus without first consulting with their entire household at the first house or section meeting. This is to allow each house or section to make open and honest decisions based on their collective concerns or allergies. Each household may also make certain other guidelines in addition to, but not superseding, the following institutional guidelines. Any animals or reptiles must be kept in an enclosure that allows them sufficient room to exercise at all times – but which does not compromise the resident(s) ability to exit the room in case of emergency. As a rule of thumb, no enclosure should exceed 8 cubic feet (ie. 2' by 2' by 2'). The only exception to keeping the pet in its enclosure is to allow for routine cleaning, in which case the pet must be kept in a secure environment in the meantime. A household may renegotiate a resident’s ability to keep a pet if the animal disrupts the household either by noise or odor, for example. Any damage or removal expenses incurred by the College will be transferred directly to the pet owner. The Dean of Student Life may be required to make an independent administrative decision to have a pet removed if agreement can not be reached by the residents involved.


The College does not maintain any off-campus housing, and students are responsible for making their own arrangements with prospective and current landlords. Local landlords are aware that students are frequently looking for off-campus housing and frequently list any available properties with us. Please be aware that our listings are only as accurate as the information given to us. While the College will not act as an intermediate in a dispute between student tenants and their landlords, the Student Life Department does publish the Off- Campus Living Guide for student tenants, which outlines tenants’ rights in the State of Maine, as well as some useful strategies for successful, hassle-free rental.

Both the list of available rental opportunities and the Off-Campus Living Guide are available from Donna McFarland in the Admission Office. 

Food Service and Meal Plan

All students at COA participate in the meal plan which has several options: a full 15 meals/week plan, a 10 meals/week, a 5 meals/week and a declining balance option. Each student is provided with a meal card, which must be presented at the time of purchase.

Meals at COA are served in the Blair Dining Hall (Take-A-Break) and the Sea Urchin Café in Deering Commons. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are available in Take-A-Break Monday through Friday at the following times:

Breakfast: 7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Dinner: 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.

The Sea Urchin Café serves lunches Monday-Friday from 11am until 2pm and maintains a fully stocked vending machine with Café items. Any changes in service will be posted in advance.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be purchased a-la-carte or as a full meal at both Sea Urchin and in TAB with cash or meal cards. Pricing will be posted in the Dining Hall and distributed to the community at the beginning of the year.

Please be considerate to those who will use TAB after you. Take your belongings with you or store them in the coat rack area. Please do not take dishware/silverware out of the hall. If you need to leave with food, please ask for a compostable plate or cup. Any requests for use of the room for special occasions should be directed to the Dean of Student Life or the Food Service Directors. Any event seeking catered food, e.g. cookies and coffee, should contact either of the Directors, Ken Sebelin and Lise Desrochers, well in advance at x5607 or and . 

Health & Counseling Services

We have both medical and mental health services available to students in the Health and Counseling wing of Deering Common. The majority of these services are paid for through the student health fee. The exact schedules of these services will be advertised on fliers, and posted on the website and sent over email at the beginning of each term.


The College contracts with five professional counselors, each of whom will see students on-campus by appointments during the posted times. Students are expected to make a $10 co-pay per visit. To sign up for a 45-minute session with one of the counselors, please go to

Complete schedules and instructions are posted outside the Health Office.

The on-campus counselors are primarily intended for students with emerging difficulties. Students with existing mental health needs that require ongoing professional support are asked to establish a therapeutic relationship with an off-campus counselor. The Coordinator of Wellness and Campus Engagement is happy to provide names and contact information for a variety of local mental health professionals.

In the event that a student is unable to see one of the on-campus counselors, whether the Coordinator of Wellness and Campus Engagement (or another member of Student Life) for assistance in seeking counseling support. Any inquiries of this nature will be treated with the utmost discretion.

Medical Services on Campus

Our Campus Clinic is located on the first floor of Deering Common. Barbara Logue, FNP and Emily Brown, WHNP/RN are the college’s two practitioners. They have open hours on campus during the following times:

Monday: 8 a.m – 3 p.m.
Wednesday: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

In addition to writing prescriptions, Barbara and Emily can provide a variety of services for free or at a significantly reduced rate, including STD screening and counseling. Services are provided for students on a walk-in basis, with the exception of complete physical exams and gynecological exams, which are by appointment only. Please call Barbara or Emily at x5683 or email or during scheduled office hours to make an appointment.

Health Insurance

The College ensures that every student is provided with a health insurance plan to enable them to seek appropriate health care and to be proactive in their health and well-being. Students with comparable existing health insurance plans can choose to opt out of the college policy.

Every student should receive a hard-copy of their plan in their mailbox; if she/he does not, or has misplaced or lost it, she/he can request another from the Coordinator of Health, Counseling and Wellness. The details of each plan can also be found here.

Other Medical Resources

  • A listing of local health resources can be found here

Leave of Absence

If you need to take a medical leave or a leave of absence, you are expected to file a request to leave by the end of the Add/Drop with the Registrar. Forms for this purpose are available in the Registrar’s office or on the Registration webpage. You should also discuss your intent and circumstances with the Academic Dean or the Dean of Student Life.

Day Bus/Night Bus

Public safety organizes and operates a student driven night bus service. The COA Night Bus begins operation as soon as possible each term making trips to various hot spot locations in Bar Harbor from 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. During winter terms, COA also operates a similar Day Bus that runs from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.. Hours, routes, and contact numbers will be sent out throughout the term.

Student IDs

Every COA student is issued a college ID card when they arrive on campus. These cards serve not only as valid identification but also as a library card. Students are responsible for normal care of the cards. If a card is lost or intentionally damaged there is a $25 replacement cost. Cards damaged through normal use will be replaced free of charge. Any student needing an ID card should contact the Registrar.

Events and Space Use

Most college spaces are available for community members’ use during the academic year when not used by scheduled classes or events. Exceptions include administrative offices, the kitchen, the residence halls, and at their discretion, faculty offices. The academic class schedule has priority over other uses.

To reserve space on campus, a community member should check the class schedule, the calendar on the COA website and then call the Director of Academic and Administrative Services, Marie Stivers, at x5631 to see if space is available.

Before events the Receptionist/Mail Service Coordinator, Cherie Ford, should be notified by the sponsor or host (who must be a COA community member) where and when events are to be held and provide her with a contact number. The Receptionist can also be contacted with events that should be posted on the web calendar. If a student is planning an event unaffiliated with an organization, they must obtain and fill out a Student Initiated Independent Party Form, to be turned in prior to the event to Sarah Luke for review and approval.

After checking the calendar, the following people/offices should be contacted before finalizing plans:

  • Bob Mentzinger, Public Relations Manager, for clearance of all publicity
  • Lauren Rupp, Coordinator of Wellness & Campus Engagement, for use of Take-A-Break and Deering Common
  • Millard Dority, Director of Campus Planning, Buildings, and Public Safety, for notice of all events that bring the public on campus for parking and for space set-up, etc.
  • Trisha Cantwell-Keene, Associate Director of the Library, for use of the Library Seminar Room
  • Zach Soares, Audio Visual Technology Specialist, for all audio visual needs

Community members should be considerate of others’ needs and be careful to maintain the spaces in good condition.

NOTE: No camp or bonfires are allowed on the COA campus without special permission from the Director of Public Safety

Mailboxes & College Information

The College’s primary receptionist, Cherie Ford, operates COA’s main telephone switchboard from the Mailroom in the Kaelber Hall in addition to handling all incoming and outgoing mail and parcels. She is also the site for all the College’s directory information — permanent addresses, local addresses, or temporary forwarding addresses. It is every community member’s responsibility to ensure that they are correctly listed. As a courtesy the Mailroom does sell stamps and if needed a student can send a package via UPS.

Student mailboxes are located in the basement of the Library by the Computer Room. Faculty and Staff mailboxes are located on the first floor of Turrets in the hallway. The College reserves the right to dump the contents of any mailbox which appears to be abandoned, excepting first-class mail which it will forward to the holder’s permanent address.

Laundry & Showers

Laundry facilities are available in Turrets, Blair/Tyson, Seafox, and the Robinson Games Room. Two large laundromats are within easy reach of most downtown residents. In addition to showers located in campus housing, there are showers located on the first floor of the Arts & Sciences building.


Students living in campus housing have the opportunity for local phone service in their residence hall rooms at a cost of $40.00 per term. For more information on COA phone service, contact Pamela Mitchell at x5650. Students also have the opportunity to have an outside residential phone line installed by Verizon. For information on Verizon phone service, contact Verizon at 1-800-870-9999.

Phone calls for academic business can be placed on office phones with clearance from the instructor and the Business Office. Phone extension lists are available from Academic Services on the third floor of Turrets.

Picture Boards

There are three picture boards located on campus: New and Returning Students, Faculty and Staff, and Trustees.

Greenhouses & Gardens

The college greenhouses house the botany teaching collection and also support other college courses and research in plant science, soils, and horticulture. Policies for their use are made by the botany faculty. Please check with Suzanne Morse about use of the greenhouse facilities for research and teaching purposes.

The College has over a quarter of an acre of organic gardens. This area is divided into individual plots and into gardens for the kitchen, food pantry, and museum. The individual garden plots are available to students and people from the Bar Harbor community. Membership in the Community Garden Club is required to have a garden plot. Notices are posted in Take-A-Break so that interested persons may sign up for plots. As long as there are plots available, plots will be assigned in early spring by the garden coordinator. Participation at the first organizational meeting (the first Saturday of May) is mandatory.

Pottery Studio

The pottery studio is primarily a teaching space, and its use by students for any independent work must be approved by Ernie McMullen.

Recreational Facilities

The student activities fee covers the cost of membership for all registered COA students at the MDI YMCA ("Y"). The "Y" is located on the corner of Park Street and Main Street downtown, and is a 20-minute walk from campus. Their facility has an indoor swimming pool, an indoor track, a gymnasium, a weight room, and many fitness classes. They are also frequently looking for both paid and volunteer staff to help run their classes and programs. Students should expect to show their valid COA ID card when they enter the "Y".

Outdoor Equipment

The College has a growing inventory of camping equipment available to students, staff and faculty for a maximum loan period of one week during the school year. Use of equipment for academic work and outdoor program activities takes precedence over personal use. Equipment is also available for individual project work or class work. Canoes and kayaks are only available to students, faculty and staff who are already competent to use this equipment.

Reserve gear ahead of time with Nick Jenei, Coordinator of Community Engagement, at x5672. While there are a number of other important guidelines noted at time of reservation, the following bear particular mention: life jackets are to be worn at all times and canoes may not be used in the ocean. Persons borrowing equipment will be responsible for safety of all associated participants, and will be held liable for loss or damage to that equipment.


Bicyclists are encouraged to use the sidewalk on Eden Street between downtown and the college. Bicycle racks are located by the greenhouse, Turrets and at entrances to college buildings. We recommend the use of bicycle locks, especially for overnight parking. Bike sheds for longer-term storage of bikes are located by Blair/Tyson and in the KWD Village.


  • COA community members, including board of trustees and members of the Acadia Senior College must register their vehicles each year with the Office of Public Safety. Registration is required within the first seven days of the fall term, or within seven days of any term in which the owner/driver of the vehicle becomes a COA community member. Summer program participants will be granted temporary parking passes for the time period of the given program by the summer program staff.
  • If you are not going to use your vehicle for ten days, park in the North Lot. If you will be away and would like to store your vehicle on campus, you must receive approval from the Office of Public Safety.
  • If you have guests on campus, it is your responsibility to inform them of appropriate parking.
  • ADA accessible permits are available from the Office of Public Safety.
  • Vehicles, whether for delivery or otherwise, parked on the COA campus are not allowed to idle for more than five minutes.

Please direct any other parking questions to the Office of Public Safety x 5690.


Recycling receptacles can be found in the following locations:

  1. Recycling shed (the shed between the Pottery Studio and B&G)
  2. Take-a-Break
  3. Next to the bicycle sheds by BT and KWD

All the bins should be clearly labeled for the item they hold. Examples of materials that can be recycled locally include: 2-7 Plastics; Glass (all types, with or w/o labels); Boxboard (non corrugated cardboard); Corrugated cardboard (non waxed); Paper (all types, even envelopes with windows); Refundables (any bottle with ME 5 cents); Tin or Aluminum Cans; Printer Ink Cartridges. Battery recycling can be found next to the front desk. For more information regarding COA sustainability, please refer to the Campus Committee for Sustainability’s Sustainability Guide.

Pets on Campus

Dogs are not allowed in any public building or in any of the central areas of campus. Dogs are allowed in cars on campus. Dogs may be walked in peripheral areas of campus to allow them to exercise. All dogs will be required to be on a leash at all times when outside of the owner’s car. Owners will collect all dog solid waste and dispose of it in convenient dumpsters. All dogs will be required to have a tag with the dog’s name, the owner’s name, and a phone number. At the beginning of each year dog owners will meet and form a Dog Owners Group (D.O.G) which will be responsible for any violations of the new dog policy. Penalties for pet owners include loss of the privilege to have a dog on campus at all, community service, working with grounds crews, or fines.

2015 Popular WPMU Blog Site: Thewayfast | Towardtrue | Carryreal | Stepintonews | Retaingreat | Canilook | Dayhurry